17 April, 2012

What kind of cereal does Frosty the Snowman eat?

...FROSTED FLAKES!

That was one of the many jokes a little girl told Bri and I this morning at breakfast. :) After breakfast (8:15-8:55 every morning), we joined our 5/6th grade class. Every morning begins with the Pledge of Allegiance, first in Inupiaq, then in English. Everything that has a label is also in Inupiaq first, with English below it. After working on our puppet ideas (see previous post), we did some math. The class is split up between higher level and lower level students. Bri went with the higher level kids and the teacher we are mostly observing. The lower level kids stayed in the class, where another teacher came in to teach. I stayed with them. Although math is definitely not my area, I've learned a few management "tricks" that I can use in my own classroom. For example, every student having a "chore" at the beginning and end of class. It saves time, and teaches the students responsibility. After 30 min, the whole group meets back together. Today we used toothpicks to make shapes and solve problems (e.g. take away x number of toothpicks to make this shape).
Next was lunch, and then science. The task was to make a bridge only out of paper and tape with a partner. It had to span 12 inches, between two chairs, and the tape couldn't anchor the paper to the chairs. We tested the bridges when time was up by seeing how many textbooks it could hold. I helped one student who didn't have a partner, and his bridge held the most books--10! I can't take any credit, though. It was all his idea, and he did most of the work, I just helped tape! He is a brand-new student, so he was much quieter than his peers, but I could see in his face that he was really proud of his work. He also told me he's thinking about engineering or architecture, so it looks like he's on the right track! Another student said, "It doesn't matter if I win, this is science so it's fun no matter what!" That made my teacher-heart smile. Now, if only I could get my students to say that about history... :p




















Inupiaq class was next; I think it's really awesome and important for them to get to study their own language. Today they were using a computer program similar to Rosetta Stone (which, by the way, is offered by R.S. but the teacher told me their's is a little easier for the younger kids).
After Inupiaq class, we worked on drawing and cutting out our puppets for the show. I think the students are really enjoying it. Our flight is scheduled for 230ish on Friday, so hopefully we don't miss the show!  We plan to go hiking this afternoon... Pictures are to follow...


HASTA LASAGNA, DON'T GET ANY ON YA!

2 comments:

  1. Great photos and posts. Keep up the good work. I am reading along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ute! It's been a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete