20 April, 2012

AKP to FAI

Well... I'm currently trying to readjust to city life. ;) But, I need to back up a quick minute! Last night Bri and I did decide to go play bingo. We had planned on another hike, but it was the coldest and windiest day we had experienced so far, so we passed. According to the activity schedule, bingo is almost every evening at 7 in the community hall. So we trekked over to the hall around 6:50; we had to get a good spot! Well, first off, it took us three tries to find the correct entrance. Second, it was empty when we did get in. I guess it normally doesn't start until 7:30. Noobs. We just hung out and took some pictures. Slowly, people started to trickle in. By 7:45 there was a good number to get the ball(s) rolling. Most of the ones that were playing were elders, so that was neat. They all smiled, asked who we were, and welcomed us to Anaktuvuk Pass. Here's where it gets interesting. While Bri and I have played bingo multiple times, every time I have played, each game had a different colored bingo sheet. All the sheets were the same color, so we bought two each, and decided to sit the first game out. We didn't realize you had to buy a new sheet (or sheets) for each game!  So there we are, with our blank bingo sheets, just watching everyone, when one lady turns around and says to us, "Why aren't you playing?" Bri told her we were sitting this one out, and she exclaimed, "You can't! New sheets every time!" I wish we had been video-taped for the next part. Bri and I began scrambling, trying to catch up on the 30 or so numbers and letters that had been called. After about 3 daubs, several ladies and elders came rushing over to us and began helping... lol. It was quite the sight, I'm sure. Bri and I sitting there, surrounded by several ladies trying to help us play bingo!! Needless to say, neither of us won that game... We felt we had to redeem ourselves though, so we lined up for another round. This time, almost every lady checked on us every few numbers to make sure we were getting it lol. I'm smiling as I'm typing about it. And, I'm pretty sure they will remember us... :)



















Today was our last day, and I was sad to leave! I was just getting used to everything and everyone. But, I guess it means I'll just have to visit again. :) The teacher that we spent the whole week with was actually a long-term sub for another teacher, who is getting back next week. So today, we helped the students make a welcome back card for their other teacher. They wrote rough drafts, a final copy, and then made a card using watercolor paint. We also watched our puppet show videos. I think they were started to like having us around just as much as we were enjoying helping them (although they won't admit it :p). They are a great group of kids, and love to joke around. My kind of crowd. We took a group picture with Bri's camera, so hopefully I'll be able to post that soon. Also, here is her blog; our posts are fairly similar, but she has some more pictures.

































Around 2 pm we said our see-ya-laters to our class and the rest of the school. Who knows, maybe I'll be back as a "real" teacher one day! We had another beautiful flight on the way back. Here are a few pictures:
















See ya later!

















I love Alaska.




















The dark line is the highway, the white one next to it is the pipeline.
















THE MIGHTY YUKON!

















My neighborhood!!
















THE MIGHTY CHENA!
















FAI
















Home :)



















The North Slope :)


Until next time... over and out!








1 comment:

  1. Alicia, thank you for sharing this with me. Hope you and Alex have a good day. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete