15 April, 2012

"The Place of Caribou Droppings"

I've made it to Anaktuvuk Pass, but unfortunately, Bri got delayed. So I've been just hanging out / napping. The flight was pretty amazing; I've flown on small planes before (this was a Cessna Grand Caravan, so I had some leg room) but I've never been past the Arctic Circle, and not via air! (sidenote: about 5 min into the flight the plane went on autopilot ((is that normal?)) and our pilot ate a sandwich, filled out some paperwork, and picked at his nails with a Gerber for about 20 min. It made me think of Ron Swanson).  I fell asleep once, while we were way up in the clouds, but when I woke up we were surrounded on all sides by the Brooks Range. It felt like in the movies when a teeny plane is maneuvering around steep mountains. Anaktuvuk Pass is located just north of these mountains, so after about fifteen minutes of being up-close-and-personal with these mountains, a clearing suddenly appeared and we landed in AKP.
I was told the principal of Nunamuit School was to meet me, so I scanned the group of people that came to meet the plane, but no one seemed to be for me. I got off the plane anyway. After getting my first bag, an older gentleman asked if I was with the school district. I told him yes, and he began to put my bags in his truck. He gave me a quick tour of the village, stopped at a row of houses (connected, like duplexes) next to the school, and handed me some keys. He said one was for the school and the other was for apartment "B." This was a huge surprise, as I thought I was going to be staying in the school. I think I'll just be going with the flow all week :)
I've just finished settling in, but I haven't seen or heard from anyone at the school, so I guess I'll hang tight... There is a fly I could try to get rid of...

School starts tomorrow around 9 am, but I'll go in a little early to introduce myself.

This is starting to get a little lengthy, so I'll just add some informational websites and more pictures :)
Please excuse the glare in some of the pictures, as well as any wings... I'm no pro.
















Inside of the plane!



Goodbye, UAF!
















About 5 min. into the flight, just on the other side of Fairbanks.

















Yukon Flats

















Not our runway, thank goodness. I'm not even sure what's down there?




Brooks Range! Again, sorry about the glare :( 

















More mountains



I purposely added part of the window in this one so you guys could get more of an idea of how close we were to the mountains. 
















The clearing / valley
















Surrounding AKP




Anaktuvuk Pass! (I'm so upset about the glare)
















My temporary living room
















Temp kitchen that I will not use :)



Nunamuit School! (via my screen-covered window) 


Until next time...

TOODLE-LOO CARIBOU! 

P.S. There are no trees. 



No comments:

Post a Comment