08 April, 2012

Preparing for adventure!

Although the title says "preparing," that's actually not accurate. What I'm really doing is preparing to prepare for adventure. This time next week I'll be in Anaktuvuk Pass, Alaska (an-ack-TOO-vick). United States of America.  For those of you just tuning in, I'm a student teacher with the University of Alaska Fairbanks' secondary teaching program. The department has provided all the student teachers with an opportunity to spend a week in a rural Alaskan community (aka, "the bush." It's off the road system). I know it's probably difficult to tell by my normal-sized, "times" font, but I am so excited. SO. EXCITED.

Here's a little b/g (background) on Anaktuvuk Pass:
Current Population: 325 (2011 AK department of labor estimate)
Elevation: 2,200 ft
Location: North Slope Borough (central Brooks Range)










In comparison... here's Fairbanks:
City Population: 31,500
--Surrounding areas: 97,000
Elevation: 446 ft
Location: Kinda in the middle...








Distance between the two: a good 250 miles.

I'll update more as my departure date becomes closer (4/15).

Here's another picture! AAHHH SO EXCITED!



No comments:

Post a Comment