29 April, 2012

Just a snapshot

Now that I've been back in Fairbanks for over a week, I've had plenty of time to contemplate my recent adventure.  Not only did I have an amazing experience just by absorbing the culture, but I also learned quite a bit about teaching in a rural setting.  


For one, a teacher is not the only one doing the teaching.  Not everyone is suitable to teach in an Alaskan village; one must be willing to learn from the students and the community in order to build a relationship.  I learned that it is okay to let a student sleep. Sometimes they need it.  Village life is much different than urban life, especially if the village is not on a road system.  It is important to remember that coming in as a teacher, you are on someone else’s turf.  Coming in with a mindset with little room for change will not result in success for the teacher, the students, or the community.  One needs to have an open mind, listen to the community, and take an active role outside of the classroom.  


Another thing I learned is the importance of being flexible.  Every day is different, even with a set schedule.  Attendance is not as high as in urban areas, so a teacher is never sure who is going to show up.  However, one must simply “roll with the punches” or “go with the flow.”  School is not viewed in the same perspective as more populated areas. Students should be encouraged to attend, but not belittled if they decide not to.


Along with keeping an open mind and being flexible comes respect.  Sounds simple enough, but sometimes requires practice.  These can all be incorporated in a rural community classroom with ease, but it requires patience.


As for the content in the classroom, from my experiences, the more hands-on and relatable, the higher level of engagement.  Art teachers in the village are rare, so finding ways to incorporate art in the classroom will most likely always be a hit with the students.  Even if it is only drawing a picture or term (draw what the alliance system from WWI looks like), students will have their own piece of art that they created, instead of simply writing the definition.  Bringing community resources into the classroom (or vice-versa) is also a way to cover content successfully.  One example is to invite one or more elders to the classroom as guest speakers.  Some students may be related, so this would definitely capture students’ attention.  Using the community can also serve as a team-building exercise, such as a fishing or hiking trip.


Although I only spent a Sunday and one school week in AKP, it was an experience I will hold with me for the rest of my life.  I'm not sure where I'll be in the next few years, but I've already decided that at some point in my life I would like to teach in a rural village for a couple years.  


















Toodle-loo, caribou!!









No comments:

Post a Comment